U.S. Customs export requirements

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) require notification of all self-propelled vehicles being permanently exported from the United States. You must provide CBP with your vehicle title documents, registration and sales receipts.
note: trailers are not self-propelled vehicles and therefore exempt from this requirement.

U.S. Customs Search



Border crossing:

CBP regulations state that at land border points:


As of April 5,2014 U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has begun a 180 days period of "informed compliance" as all exports of used self-propelled vehicles will be required to submit an Electronic Export Information (EEI) through the Automated Export System (AES).

  1. Required documentation must be submitted at least 72 business hours prior to export; and
  2. the vehicle must be presented to U.S. Customs at the time of export.

CBP recommends that you contact the customs office where you plan to cross, directly, to verify the documentation required and their hours of operation.

Select a state or province, then choose the border crossing through which you will be importing your vehicle, to view contact information for the U.S. Customs office.

For more information, visit U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

© 2009 Registrar of Imported Vehicles. All rights reserved.
Site Map  |  Legal  |  Privacy