After vehicle entry
Once the vehicle has entered Canada, it is the importer’s responsibility to have required modifications, if any, completed and the vehicle inspected at an authorized Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) inspection centre.
You must meet the following conditions:
- The vehicle has crossed the border and a Vehicle Import Form – Form 1 has been completed and submitted to RIV through the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).
To expedite your file, the Vehicle Import Form may be faxed or emailed to our office at 416-626-0366 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- The RIV registration fee has been paid.
- RIV has received confirmation that there are no outstanding recalls on the vehicle. Find out more about Recall clearance.
RIV will then issue an RIV inspection form which identifies modification and inspection requirements specific to your vehicle. The vehicle must pass the RIV inspection process before being licensed through a provincial/territorial licensing jurisdiction.
For more information:
- It is important that you do not proceed with any modifications on your vehicle until you receive the RIV inspection form.
- The RIV inspection can only be completed by an authorized RIV inspection centre.
- When your vehicle has passed the RIV inspection, contact your provincial or territorial licensing authority to find out how to license your vehicle.
NEW: Track your case or print your RIV inspection form.
Download a printable RIV brochure in Adobe PDF format.*
* You must have Adobe Reader installed in order to open and view the PDF. To download a free copy, visit www.adobe.com.